This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can save an extra 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
Wednesday June 4, 2014: Hyatt Gold Passport Points
- 24,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for $260, 95 available
- 30,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for $330, 35 available
- 40,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for $415, 15 available
- 72,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for $775, 15 available
The Hyatt offer is marketed as free hotel stays, but really it’s just points packages. The prices for these points are between 1.0 and 1.1 cents per point, depending on whether you apply the American Express discount. This is much cheaper than the normal price of about 2.4 cents per point, which means you’re getting almost half off if you buy the Daily Getaway deal.
As an example, the 30,000 point deal gives you enough points for two nights in the Hyatt Andaz Papagayo Resort in Costa Rica. This property recently dropped from Category 6 to Category 4, and now requires just 15,000 points per night. With the Daily Getaway you’re effectively getting two nights there for $330, or $297 with the Amex discount. Room rates at the Andaz Papagayo start at $650 for two nights, so you’re saving about half the normal cash rate if you can purchase the package.
Despite Hyatt’s recent devaluation, Gold Passport points still offer the most value of any hotel points besides Starwood Preferred Guest. I value Hyatt points around 1.8 cents per point, and love using them for suites or at some of the high tier Hyatt properties like the Andaz 5th Avenue in New York and the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris. Hyatt also has a relatively new partnership with MLife properties in Las Vegas. While Vegas hotels can often be had for cheap (making point redemptions less enticing), it’s good to have options.
Overall I think this deal is great, and given the opportunity I would get in on it. However, as is the trend with the most lucrative Daily Getaway deals, the likelihood of actually scoring one of these packages is low since so few are available. You’ll have the best chance going for the 24,000 point deal, since there is a relative cornucopia of 95 packages up for sale.
A purchasing tip: though many of these packages will show up as “In someone else’s cart,” you can still snag them by refreshing and trying to scoop them up when that someone else either decides not to purchase or experiences technical difficulties. Hey, their loss is your gain – many TPG readers have gotten packages this way, so don’t be shy about obsessively refreshing and clicking; it could pay off!
Aside from the limited-time sign-up bonus of 100,000 points, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more and cardholders will receive a 50% Airline bonus when you redeem Membership Rewards for all or part of an eligible fare.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points. Offer expires January 25, 2017.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- New: Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That’s 1.5 points per dollar, on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- Plus, continue to get one point per dollar for qualifying purchases under $5,000.
- New 50% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 50% of the points back.
- New: You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply
- See Rates & Fees