This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can save an additional 10% by purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
Tuesday June 17: Club Carlson Points
- 50,000 Club Carlson Gold points for $247 (100 available)
- 100,000 Club Carlson Gold points for $495 (50 available)
Each Club Carlson loyalty number is limited to no more than two sets of points per offer, and a maximum of 4 sets of points is allowed across both Club Carlson offers. However due to the low availability of these packages, it’s unlikely you’d be able to get more than that anyway. The deal is worthwhile if you can manage to get it, and I might try to jump on this one myself.
Club Carlson points normally cost .7 cents each, and with this deal you can get them for about .5 cents a point (or .44 cents with the Amex discount). This is a great opportunity, especially if you have one of the Club Carlson co-branded credit cards, which give you the last night free for any award reservation of two nights or more.
Depending on where you book, this deal can have great value. I often tend to stay in hotel rooms in bigger cities that are typically more expensive, like London or San Francisco, so for me it makes sense. A weekend in August at the Radisson Blu Portman hotel in London will cost you 100,000 points for two nights (purchased at $495 or $445 with the Amex discount with the Daily Getaway) or 380 GBP ($661) if paid in cash. Already the points option provides a considerable savings, but when you add in a free night with the Club Carlson credit card, you’d get three nights for 100,000 points (or $445) as opposed to the cash price of 570 GBP ($966). So purchasing the Daily Getaway is a deal in itself, and topping it off with the free night is very thick icing on a very large cake.
I’m going to purchase this offer myself, if I can manage to get one! This is last points opportunity for the Daily Getaways this year, so if you’ve been hoping to buy some points and have so far stayed on the sidelines, this is your shot, as the remaining Week 5 offers are for hotels and theme parks.
Aside from the limited-time sign-up bonus of 100,000 points, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more and cardholders will receive a 50% Airline bonus when you redeem Membership Rewards for all or part of an eligible fare.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points. Offer expires January 25, 2017.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- New: Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That’s 1.5 points per dollar, on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- Plus, continue to get one point per dollar for qualifying purchases under $5,000.
- New 50% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 50% of the points back.
- New: You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Terms & Restrictions Apply
- See Rates & Fees