This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can receive an additional 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express and the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express.
Daily Getaway For Monday May 26: InterContinental Hotel Rewards Points (previously Priority Club)
This deal is marketed exactly as is: bundles of points that you can purchase and use however you choose.
- 15,000 IHG Rewards Club points for $100 (.67 cents per point, 2,500 available)
- 25,000 IHG Rewards Club points for $167 (.68 cents per point, 2,000 available)
- 50,000 IHG Rewards Club points for $325 (.65 cents per point, 1,250 available)
- 100,000 IHG Rewards Club points for $630 (.63 cents per point, 1,000 available)
Typically, the cost to purchase IHG Rewards points is:
- 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
- 11,000 – 25,000 points for $12.50 per 1,000 points
- 26,000 – 60,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points
It would typically cost $187.50 to purchase 15,000 points, $312.50 to purchase 25,000 points, $575 to purchase 50,000 points, and $1,150 to purchase 100,000 points. If you already have a plan for IHG Rewards points, this Daily Getaway deal offers great value, because the discount on points is around 45%, or over 50% if you include the Amex discount. It’s also likely that you’ll be able to get in on the deal because there are so many packages available.
While IHG points can transfer to airline programs, using these points as such doesn’t provide the best value due to the typically high transfer ratios of 10,000 points to 2,000 miles (5:1). However, you could save a lot by using the points on a hotel room in a pricey city like London.
For example, a two night stay in June at the Intercontinental London Westminster would cost you $530.26 per night or $1060.52 total. Instead, you could have the same room for 50,000 points per night by buying the 100,000 point package for $630 ($567 with Amex discount). The savings there is huge!
Another option is to use the points at one of the IHG PointBreaks hotels. You have until May 31, 2014 to book rooms at these hotels, and each night is just 5,000 points. This means you could stay for just $33 per night (or $30 per night with the Amex discount) if you purchased the 15,000 points package for $100 and booked three nights at 5,000 points each. The best PointsBreaks inventory tends to disappear quickly, so if none of those hotels suit your needs, a new list will be released tomorrow with more exciting properties.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees