This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can receive an additional 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex.
Daily Getaway For Thursday, May 22: Alamo Gift Certificates
- $50 certificate for $25 (2,000 available)
This seems like a pretty cut and dry deal. If you like Alamo and you often rent cars with them, this deal offers a way to save money. There are plenty available, so purchasing this deal shouldn’t be too difficult.
Keep in mind that the deal states you can only use these certificates at participating locations. Alamo says that once you purchase, Alamo will email you the purchased certificate(s) within 5 business days along with detailed information on how to redeem your certificate either by phone or online. I assume this email will also inform you of any locations where the certificate is invalid. Be wary if you have a specific location in mind for redemption, because that location might be excluded. If you aren’t attached to one location or will have multiple opportunities to use the certificate, this deal seems like easy money (especially with the Amex discount).
Other terms to remember are that the gift certificates will only be applied to the base rate, and you will still have to pay for taxes and other charges. You can buy up to three certificates, but if you want to make a reservation using more than one, you must call 1-866-626-9102 to do so.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees