This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can receive an additional 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex.
Daily Getaway For Wednesday May 21: Choice Privilege Points
- 20,000 Choice Privileges points for $108 (.54 cents per point, 216 available)
- 32,000 Choice Privileges points for $132 (.41 cents per point, 655 available)
- 36,000 Choice Privileges points for $175 (.49 cents per point, 785 available)
- 40,000 Choice Privileges points for $165 (.41 cents per point, 325 available)
The deals are marketed as free nights for different hotels, but in reality they’re just bundles of points that you can use however you choose.
When used for hotel rooms, Choice Privileges points offer great value in Europe, where you can find rooms for just 8,000-10,000 points per night in low season. Combined with the poor exchange rate, these rooms would cost much more if paid for in cash.
For example, I searched for a two night stay in Rome at the end of June, and found three hotels available, all in the 8,000-10,000 point range. If you purchased the 32,000 point deal for $132 (or $119 with the Amex discount), you could get three or four nights in these hotels at $33 per night (or $30 with discount), whereas the cost would be $92-150 per night if paid in cash.
You can also transfer 5,000 points to get 1,000 miles in several airline programs affiliated with Choice Privileges (such as United or American). Transfers to Southwest or Alaska may be a better bet, since they’re often more flexible than other airlines, and transferred points count towards your Southwest Companion Pass. If you need a boost to reach the 110,000 point Companion Pass mark, 6,000 Choice Privileges points transfers to 1,800 Rapid Rewards points. If you bought 40,000 Choice points for $165 (or $149 with the Amex discount), you could transfer 36,000 of them to get 10,800 Rapid Rewards points. Essentially you’d be buying Rapid Rewards at 1.375 cents per point (which is slightly less than the value you get by using them for Wanna Get Away fares), while also earning your Companion Pass.
In conclusion, this deal may be worth it if you have an upcoming trip and you can price out your hotels beforehand, or if you want to top off your Southwest account in pursuit of a Companion Pass. There are plenty of deals available, so unlike yesterday’s Hertz deal, there’s a good chance you can get the one you want!
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees