This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Express and the US Travel Association (a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting US travel) have partnered to offer discounts and deals with various travel brands and loyalty programs during the next month, including hotel packages, points/miles purchase promos, rental car discounts and more. These deals are called the Daily Getaways.
Each day we’ll hash out the details of that day’s deal to see whether it’s worth taking advantage of.
Today’s deal goes live at 1 pm EDT, and you can sign up for alerts if you’d like to be notified when the deals go live.
All of these promotions have the added benefit that you can receive an additional 10% for purchasing with an Amex card, like the Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold, or even co-branded cards like Delta Gold and the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex.
Daily Getway For Tuesday May 20: Hertz Gold Plus Reward Points
- 5,500 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards for $280 (5.1 cents per point, 45 available)
- 13,200 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards for $475 (4.6 cents per point, 35 available)
- 16,500 Hertz Gold Plus Rewards for $775 (4.7 cents per point, 50 available)
The deal is marketed as free days of car rental, but in reality the offers are packages of Hertz Gold Plus Reward points to use however you choose.
Per the Hertz Gold Plus Reward Chart, a standard free rental day is 675 points, and an anyday award (during peak periods) would be 1350 points. Standard and anyday weekly rentals are 2,750 and 5,500 points, respectively. In late 2013 the Gold Plus program underwent a large devaluation, so this promotion may or may not be worth taking part in depending on the cash price for your rental and whether you need to travel on peak days.
One scenario where this promotion could offer good value is if you need to rent a larger vehicle or family style car. For example, the 13,200 point deal for $475 (or $427.50 with the Amex discount), gives you enough points to book 3 weeks of standard rental in a minivan or midsize SUV (like a Ford Explorer) at 4,400 points per week. With the Amex discount, your rentals would cost $142.50 per week ($20.20 per day not including taxes and fees). Rental prices vary enormously based on dates and location, so rentals can plausibly be had for less, but this scenario offers good value if you know you will be traveling on off peak dates or if you prefer to use Hertz exclusively.
The main drawback of these offers is that they are very, very limited. The deal for 13,200 points offers the most bang for your buck, but with only 35 available it may be difficult to get even if you do deem it to be worthwhile. Be ready to buy at 1 pm, and good luck!
If you are a Delta flyer who is looking to bank some extra miles this card is a great addition for your wallet. While you'll earn 2 miles per dollar on Delta purchases and 1 mile per dollar on everything else, you'll also have access to other perks like priority boarding, a first bag checked free and 20% off in-flight purchases.
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees