This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Thanksgiving is already over and Christmas and New Year’s Eve will be upon us before you know it, if you haven’t booked a spot already – then it is definitely time to start thinking about where you are going to ring in 2014.
For today’s Top 10, I am going to cover some great hotels all over the world that have award availability for the New Year, so that you can celebrate to the fullest without paying outrageous holiday prices.
1. Andaz Peninsula Papagayo: Following fast on the heels of the recent official opening of the Andaz Maui, Hyatt announced earlier this year that it would be opening the Andaz Peninsula Papagayo in Costa Rica on December 20, 2013, to become the brand’s first property in Central America. Even better is that you can use Hyatt Gold Passport points to book your stay there! Room rates over New Year’s Eve cost $700 per night, but will only set you back 22,000 points for a standard Andaz Twin room, which has a balcony offering partial bay and tropical forest views. That is the same points needed as for a night in mid-February, when rates are just $500 per night.
The property is located on a 2,223-acre planned development site that covers two peninsulas along the Papagayo Gulf in Costa Rica’s Bay of Culebra. The resort itself is on a 28-acre area adjacent to Marina Papagayo, and features 153 guestrooms and a variety of amenities including three themed restaurants, a marina bar, ocean activities, and a spa and fitness center. With so much to do in such an idyllic setting, who wouldn’t want to start their year off in a jungle paradise? For more information on newest member of the Andaz family, check out this post.
2. New York Hilton Midtown: The New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square is without doubt the biggest event in the country on December 31, and you can stay close to the action at the New York Hilton Midtown for $609 per night or 70,000 HHonors points. A standard room comes with complimentary WiFi, a flatscreen TV, an oversized chair with an Ottoman, and a work desk. Located within walking distance of Times Square, it is the perfect spot to stay if you are planning to join in the nation’s favorite festivities. The Category 6 hotel is also home to the new Herb N’ Kitchen take-out restaurant, which is Hilton’s latest venture to incorporate local gourmet food into an upscale restaurant and accompanying take-out market. Guests can buy healthy food to take away, and order diet-friendly meals in the restaurant or for in-room delivery – so you can get started on your New Year’s resolutions early.
3. Sheraton Anaheim Hotel: New Year’s Eve doesn’t have to be about adult celebrations, and there is nowhere better for families to enjoy a few days away than at Disneyland. Located just a mile from Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, the Sheraton Anaheim Hotel has traditional rooms with two twin beds for $179 per night or 7,000 Starpoints on New Year’s Eve. Featuring a flatscreen TV, coffee and tea maker and refrigerator in the room, it is ideal for families wanting a stress-free getaway. Disneyland starts the year off with a bang by hosting a spectacular fireworks display on New Year’s Eve, so your kids can ring it in with Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck and the rest of the colorful crew.
4. W Chicago – City Center: Chicago is a fun place to party on any day of the year, especially the last one! The W Chicago – City Center has availability for December 31 for $202 per night if you book by December 6, 2013, or 12,000 Starpoints. Located in the middle of the Chicago Loop, this 368-room hotel is close to the Sears Tower, Chicago Art Institute, Millennium Park, as well at the theatre district. All rooms and suites feature W’s hotel pillowtop mattress with feather bed, 42-inch plasma televisions and marble bathrooms with Bliss bathroom amenities. Dining options where you can toast 2014 with a glass of bubbly include the Lobby Bar, as well as IPO, serving Urban American cuisine in a casual setting. For more information on things to do in Chi-Town, check out Destination Of The Week: Chicago.
5. Hilton San Francisco Financial District: With its centralized downtown area and efficient public transport system, San Francisco is the ideal urban escape during the holiday season. With midnight cruises around the marina, a fireworks show at the waterfront, and a whole host of swanky nightclubs to choose from, there is plenty to do at the home of the Golden Gate Bridge. The Hilton San Francisco Financial District is located in the heart of the action on Kearny Street, and right now you can book a room on New Year’s Eve for $389 per night or 50,000 HHonors points. Rooms feature panoramic city or bay views, complimentary WiFi, a flatscreen TV, and a marble bathroom. Located within easy access of city’s neighborhoods including North Beach, Chinatown and the Financial District, the hotel boasts the 750 Restaurant & Bar, the Flyte Wine and Beer Bar, as well as a fitness center and Tru Spa.
6. InterContinental San Juan: If Caribbean cool is your dream for the new year, how about spending the holiday in Puerto Rico? The Intercontinental in San Juan has rooms available on December 31 for $543 or 50,000 IHG points. Boasting a panoramic view of the city or the lagoon, the Superior room features a balcony, complimentary WiFi, a flatscreen TV, a coffee and tea maker and a MP3 docking station. The resort has a casino where you try and win big before the end of 2013, live entertainment, an outdoor pool, an ocean-front fitness center, spa, and four restaurants plus two lounges. For more details on things to do in Puerto Rico’s capital, check out Destination Of The Week: San Juan.
7. Hyatt Regency Denver: Winter means ski season, and one of the best states to hit the slopes is Colorado. Spending New Year’s Eve in Denver is a good way to kick-off a ski trip in the city before continuing on to the Rocky Mountains – especially if you book it on points. A room at the Hyatt Regency Denver starts at $325 per night or 12,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points for an award night. One of the newer hotels in Denver, it has 1,100 rooms, many including views of the Rocky Mountains, which feature the luxurious Hyatt Grand Bed, a flatscreen TV, WiFi for a fee, a work desk and chair, and a coffee maker. On-site dining options include the Altitude restaurant and Strata Bar on the ground floor as well as the Peaks Lounge on the rooftop, which features some of the best views in the city. Even if skiing is not your activity of choice, Denver has an impressive New Year’s Eve fireworks display, a number of exotic balls such as James Bond or Great Gatsby themes, or sports lovers can catch the Colorado Avalanche vs. Columbus Blue Jackets hockey game on New Year’s Eve. For more information on things to do in Denver, read Destination Of The Week: Denver.
8. Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel: London lights up over Christmas and the festivities run well into the New Year, with the British equivalent of the Times Square celebration going on in Trafalgar Square with a massive fireworks display followed by a New Year’s Day parade on January 1. You can join in the jubilation by booking a room at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel, which is close to both Oxford Street and Convent Garden for 360 GPB ($588) or 44,000 Club Carlson points. Rooms at the 4-star hotel include a flatscreen TV, complimentary WiFi, and a coffee and tea maker. Housed in an Edwardian listed building, the historical property is adjacent to Hyde Park and features the Scoff & Banter Bar and Restaurant where you can order authentic British grub with an oriental twist.
9. Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa: Say “aloha” to 2014 by booking a room at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa on Maui for $675 per night or 40,000 Marriott points (plus a $30 resort fee). A Garden View room at the luxurious resort features a flatscreen TV, mini fridge, and a deep-soaking bathtub, while the waterfront location is just steps away from the shops and restaurants of Wailea. It also has three outdoor pools, a water slide, Jacuzzi, a jogging trail, fitness center, and spa. Tropical dining options include the Mala Wailea restaurant, Kumu Bar & Grill and Te Au Moana luau show.
10. Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel in Reykjavik, Iceland: The land of fire and ice knows how to celebrate New Year’s Eve, and with its massive fireworks display, lively music scene and views of the Northern Lights, the world’s northernmost capital is a good place to be when the clock strikes midnight. The Radisson Blu 1919 hotel has rooms available for 215 EUR ($291) per night, or 44,000 points on New Year’s Eve. Centrally-located in the Reykjavik city center, this Club Carlson Category 5 hotel has 88 studio-concept rooms and suites with complimentary WiFi, hardwood floors and marble bathrooms. Loft-style suites have natural skylights, a private Jacuzzi and Nespresso coffee machine. The dining options are the 1919 Restaurant, serving local ingredients and in-season produce, and the 1919 Lounge for creative cocktails, cool beer and a light menu. For more on the Radisson Blu 1919 and its sister property, the Radisson Blu Saga Hotel, read my hotel review here, or Destination Of The Week: Reykjavik for things to do in and around Iceland’s capital city.