This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the best ways out there to rack up bonus points on specific spending categories is with Chase Freedom’s quarterly rotating categories of merchants and retailers where cardholders earn 5 points per $1 up to a $1,500 quarterly cap.
If you maximize the $6,000 in yearly spend, you are looking at 30,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points, which may not seem like a ton, but it’s pretty awesome for a card that has no annual fee. Normally 30,000 Freedom Ultimate Rewards points equal $300 in cash back, but I value them at about $600, since I can transfer them to my Sapphire Preferred and Ink Plus Ultimate Rewards accounts and then transfer on to partners like United, Southwest and Hyatt.
You can activate your card the following ways:
- Online: Visit chase.com/freedom.
- Text Message: Sign up for Chase Freedom 5% Text Reminders at chase.com/freedom and you’ll get a text reminding you when it’s time to activate.
- Email: Provide your email address at chase.com/freedom and they will send you an email when it’s time to activate.
- Phone: Call the number on the back of your card and let an adviser activate your 5% cash back.
- Chase location: Visit any Chase bank and see a personal banker.
For more on the Chase Freedom, read these previous posts: With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.
Chase Freedom Visa 2014 5x Bonus Categories Announced
Chase Freedom Sign-Up Bonus Increased To 20,000 Bonus Points
Top 10 Cards In My Wallet And What I Use Each For
With great transfer partners like United and Hyatt, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game.