This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s just something about Cyber Monday, but even the airlines are getting in on the action, and one of the best deals out there is the four-day 100% Share Miles bonus US Airways is offering Dividend miles members now through December 6, 2013.
While past 100% share miles bonuses have been on any miles you transfer, this one is tiered.
If you were to purchase miles, they normally cost 3.5 cents each plus a 7.5% tax, and sharing miles costs 1 cent each plus a $30 processing fee and 7.5% tax. However, with this promo the cost drops to just about 1.1 cents per new mile created via the bonus, since you are paying the share miles costs and fees, but generating twice the miles. For example, sharing 50,000 miles would cost you $567.50, and you’d be generating a bonus 50,000 miles for that price. So you’re generating 50,000 miles for just $567.5. Though 100,000 miles would be in the new account which is enough for a lot of different awards, which can be an amazing deal depending on how you redeem those miles.
This is likely your last chance to get in on such cheap Star Alliance (and eventually American miles) before the merger, so if you’ve hesitated in the past, it’s go time.
Key Rules and limitations
1. Your Dividend Miles account must have been open for at least 12 days.
2. The 100% bonus goes to the person who receives the miles- not the one transferring them.
3. The maximum bonus per account is 50,000 and receive is 100,000 (which includes the bonus miles).
4. For each Share there is a processing fee of $30 and a 7.5% tax recovery charge and GST/HST will be charged to Canadian residents.
5. This transaction is processed by points.com so it won’t count towards airfare multiplier categories like the 3x on the Premier Rewards Gold or 2x on Sapphire Preferred, or 2x on the no-fee Barclaycard Arrival.
6. Bonus amounts will be awarded upon completion of the transaction.
Whether this promo is worth it to you depends on your travel needs and the award you intend to redeem your miles for. US Airways is a Star Alliance member for the moment and has a pretty generous award chart, so if you are hoping to redeem premium class awards on expensive routes with low taxes, then you could definitely reap some value from this promotion. For example, I used 110,000 US Airways miles to book a roundtrip award ticket from New York to South Africa last year in business class on South African Airways, which would have cost $8,000+ if I had paid for it outright, and roundtrip business class award tickets from North America to Asia are just 90,000 miles with US Airways, which would cost you $990 at 1.1 cents per mile, but on which airfares would be north of $4,000-$5000.
That all might change once the merger with American goes through, as it looks certain to do next year, with the airlines talking about first integration steps as early as December, so if you do take advantage of this, don’t sit on your miles, redeem them ASAP.
Barclaycard Arrival™ World MasterCard®
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Foreign Transaction Fee||Credit Rating|
|N/A||16.24%, 20.24% or 24.24%* Variable||$0||0%||Excellent/Good|