This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just a friendly reminder that the lucrative 100% bonus on shared miles currently being offered by US Airways ends tomorrow, October 15, 2013, so if you haven’t shared your miles already, you’ve just got a day left to do so.
The reason I keep reporting on this is that it’s been a while since we’ve seen a bonus that high on shared miles through the airline. Other airlines have only offered up to 50% on share miles promos lately, and US Airways has only been offering bonuses on purchased miles this high lately as well, and what’s more, this isn’t a targeted promotion like some past promotions, and there is no need to register as you will receive the 100% bonus miles automatically when you go to the Share Miles page.
Through the promo, each member can receive up to a maximum of 50,000 bonus miles, but you can send as many miles as you’d like from each account to other accounts and each of those is eligible for up to those 50,000 bonus miles.
If you were to purchase miles, they normally cost 3.5 cents each plus a 7.5% tax, and sharing miles costs 1 cent each plus a $30 processing fee and 7.5% tax. However, with this promo the cost per new bonus mile created through sharing drops to just about 1.1 cents each. For example, sharing 50,000 miles would cost you $567.50, and you’d be generating a bonus 50,000 miles for that price for a total of 100,000 miles in the receiving account which is enough for a lot of different awards), which can be an amazing deal depending on how you redeem those miles.
Key Rules and limitations
1. You must be a Dividend Miles member for at least 12 days, so sign up now if you are not and want to take advantage (sign-up here for a free account).
2. The 100% bonus goes to the person who receives the miles- not the one transferring them.
3. The maximum bonus per account is 50,000 and receive is 100,000 (which includes the bonus miles).
4. For each Share there is a processing fee of $30 and a 7.5% tax recovery charge and GST/HST will be charged to Canadian residents.
5. This transaction is processed by points.com so it won’t count towards airfare multiplier categories like the 3X points per $1 on flights booked directly with airlines on the Premier Rewards Gold or 2x on Sapphire Preferred, or 2x on the no-fee Barclaycard Arrival.
6. Bonus amounts will be awarded upon completion of the transaction.
Whether this promo is worth it to you depends on your travel needs and the award you intend to redeem your miles for. US Airways is a Star Alliance member and has a pretty generous award chart, so if you are hoping to redeem premium class awards on expensive routes with low taxes, then you could definitely reap some value from this promotion. For example, I used 110,000 US Airways miles to book a roundtrip award ticket from New York to South Africa last year in business class on South African Airways, which would have cost $8,000+ if I had paid for it outright, and roundtrip business class award tickets from North America to Asia are just 90,000 miles with US Airways, which would cost you $990 at 1.1 cents per mile, but on which airfares would be north of $4,000-$5000.
As always, do the math for yourself before deciding to jump on this promotion, but this is one of the best US Airways offers we’ve seen lately – more valuable in my opinion than the recent 100% buy miles promos – and there’s no telling how many more of them we’ll see as the American-US Airways merger stop-and-start process continues.
Barclaycard Arrival™ World MasterCard®