This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Many people have reported being targeted for the 100,000 point offer for The Platinum Card from American Express through the CardMatch Tool. Be sure to check for yourself to see what offers are available to you (there is no credit check)!
TPG Twitter follower Wildcat1 asked:
“Now that Amex Platinum gives you SPG Gold Status, do I then only need 25 nights to get to Platinum Status – or do I have to start from zero nights?”
One of the perks of The Platinum Card from American Express is that it automatically gives you Starwood Gold Status, which is normally attained after 25 nights or 10 stays and gets you a 50% bonus on Starpoints (so you earn 3 points per $1 spent at Starwood properties), space-available room upgrades, 4pm late checkout and overall better customer service.
While it’s a great benefit of the card, unfortunately, it isn’t a fast track to Platinum Status, as you would still have to complete all the stays and nights (meaning that same 25 stays/50 nights) required to get to Platinum just as if you were starting from scratch.
The added VIP benefits of Platinum are:
- Earn 3 Starpoints per dollar spent (Same as Gold, but a 50% increase from the regular ratio for and 75-night Platinum guests earn 4 points per dollar)
- Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites
- Your choice of a welcome gift with each stay (choose from bonus Starpoints, continental breakfast or local amenities)
- Club- and Executive-level privileges where available
- Complimentary in-room WiFi
- 4 p.m. late checkoutso you can sleep in, relax by the pool or see more of the local area you’re visiting
- Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival
- Signature Platinum Concierge service
SPG also now has even more upgrades for Platinum members who achieve 75 or 100 nights, including YOUR24 flexible check-in, suite night awards and 4 Starpoints per dollar spent. Check out the program enhancements from last year in this post.
If SPG Platinum status is your goal, one alternative route is to get either (or both) the personal or business Starwood Preferred Guest American Express cards, each of which gives you 2 stays or 5 nights credit toward elite status and earns you Gold status for spending $30,000 in a calendar year. Although again, with the spending bonus option, this is just status, not night or stay credit – so for Platinum, you would still have to do 23 stays or 45 nights more to reach the required threshold if you had one of these cards.
If you apply for either the business or personal SPG Amex by September 3, 2013, you can get in on the current limited-time bonus offer of 30,000 points when you spend $5,000 in 6 months. If you were to get both cards, you’d end up with not only 60,000 bonus points, but 4 stays and 10 nights worth of credit towards elite status, putting you well on your way to Gold and definitely helping along the way to Platinum.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees