LAN just launched a fare sale on premium flights to South America from as low as $699 total roundtrip from Miami to Bogata. Fares were loaded yesterday and the offer ends on July 1, 2013. Look for others to match or potentially beat- to check monthlong fares on specific routes, I recommend using ITA Matrix software.
Key fare info:
- Required booking class I (which banks to American AAdvantage and earns 125% base miles, 100% EQMs and 1.5 EQPs)*
- Minimum stay at the destination: 7 days.
- Maximum stay at the destination: 12 months.
- Travel restriction: Travel must be finished by December 10, 2013.
- Sales restrictions: Ticket must be purchased on or before July 01, 2013.
- Advance purchase: Ticket must be purchased at least 14 days before departure.
- Changes are permitted with a penalty of US$ 250 on or before date of flight departure.
- After flight departure day change is permitted with US$ 250 penalty.
- On or before flight departure day refund is permitted with US$ 500 penalty.
- Discount not permitted for children and infants.
* Miami-Bogota is operated by LAN Columbia which isn’t a member of Oneworld, so you can’t credit to American Airlines yet, but they are expected to join Oneworld in the last quarter of this year.
I recently flew LAN Chile from Miami to Santiago and back for my Mother’s Day Trip to Chile and I had a positive experience overall- especially since I had gotten those tickets for $900 thanks to an amazing deal back in February. For all the details on our experience, check out my Flight Review: LAN 767-300 Premium Business Class MIA-SCL.
I priced it out on the LAN website and found a flight from Miami to Bogota departing on September 8 and returning on September 15 in Premium Business for $698.90 round trip including all taxes. This is a good fare for this route, though it is only 3,013 miles roundtrip so you won’t be racking up nearly as many miles as deep South America routes like New York to Buenos Aires, which is over 10,500 miles roundtrip. This flight is operated by LAN Columbia which is not yet a member of Oneworld, so unfortunately you would not be able to credit to American, however it’s a good deal if you wanted to fly business class down to Columbia.
There are some decent NYC fares as well, however. JFK to Guayaquil, Ecuador, departing on September 8 and returning on September 15 in Premium Business Class for just $1,099,91 round trip including all taxes. That comes to 5,940 miles roundtrip, or 8,910 Elite Qualifying Points (~12 cents per point, which is decent for premium fares).
Although significantly more expensive from the West coast, you can fly from San Francisco to Lima, Peru, departing on October 7 and returning on October 17 in Premium Business Class for $2,098.64 round trip including all taxes.
American Airlines for the same dates from San Francisco to Lima through Dallas-Fort Worth for $1,692.64 round trip including all taxes and fees. Along with the 9,642 miles earned on American, the domestic flights are in First Class and the international flights are in Business Class. While routing via Dallas is less desirable and the domestic AA flights pale in comparison to international LAN flights, it could still be worth it at 9,644 miles roundtrip or 14,460 EQPs (11.7 cents each).
Not the most earth shattering fare sale, but it brings business class to the realm of affordability – especially since coach fares on many of these routes are over $1,000.
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.