This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here –The Platinum Card from American Express, Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express, Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express, and Gold Delta Skymiles Credit Card from American Express
Offers expired: September 1, 2013
As I reflected in a post the other day, although I have shifted more and more of my travel and elite status strategy to other airlines, I still can’t give up Delta entirely, as much as I think I might want to at time. I have maintained Diamond or Platinum Medallion status for years at this point, but even when I was flying the airline more than I do these days, I never go a co-branded American Express card because I was able to retain elite status without them and most other benefits that the co-branded Delta Amex cards confer I get from elite status anyway.
However, I think I finally may break down and hop on a targeted offer that I received for the Platinum SkyMiles Amex that will let me rack up 40,000 miles and 35,000 Medallion Qualifying Miles this year (20,000 thereafter). Like I said, this is targeted, but check your email if you’ve received a similar offer. Mine expires April 28, 2013, so even though I just did a round of applications last month, I may tack this one on, especially since I know I’m eligible and the only rule on getting the bonus is: “Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer Delta SkyMiles Credit Card account within the last 90 days.”
Earn 25,000 bonus miles, 5,000 of which are MQMs, after your first purchase on the Card. Earn another 15,000 bonus miles, 10,000 of which are MQMs, after you spend $1,000 on the Card in the first three months of Cardmembership.
Earn more miles:
- Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent with no mileage cap
- Earn double miles on Delta purchases
- Earn up to 20,000 additional MQMs toward Medallion status each year by spending $50,000 in a calendar year with built-in Miles Boost
With the MQM-earning ability of this card just by spending (and the fact that you now must either spend a certain amount on the airline or on a co-branded credit card thanks to Delta’s half-shift to a revenue-based elite program a few months ago), having a Delta Amex card looks like it’ll be a necessity for maintaining elite status from now on.
Not that it’s all bad news. In fact, just as I was doing my soul-searching about mileage earning strategy this year and whether to fully commit to American or keep stringing Delta along, I needed to book some award tickets to Europe and found tons of availability on the airline and its partners in business class with relative ease, which reminded me about some of Delta’s better qualities (more on this in a future post).
American Express’s most lucrative offers are ones that are often targeted and not available to the general public, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get in on them. Creditcards.com has a Card Match tool that allows you to see if you have any of these special offers targeted towards you. I just went on and saw three offers that that beat any public offers out there with points bonuses that are up to 50% higher – including 45,000 SkyMiles for the Gold Delta SkyMiles Amex when you spend $5,000 in 6 months with the $95 annual fee waived the first year vs. 30,000 miles on the public offer; 150 Reward Dollars for the Blue Cash Preferred after you make $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership (current public offers is just 150 Reward Dollars); and 100 Reward Dollars for the Blue Cash Everyday card when you spend $1,000 within the first three months (instead of just 100 Reward Dollars).
To see if you are eligible for any of these offers:
1. Go to the Creditcards.com Card Match Tool:
2. Enter your information
3. You should be redirected to a page with the following four offers from American Express and can apply directly from there.
1. OFFER EXPIRED – Up to 45,000 Delta SkyMiles for the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express: The public offer out there on this card has been stuck at a measly 30,000 miles when you spend $500 in the first three months for a while now, but this offer beats that by 50%. You get 25,000 miles upon first purchase and 20,000 more miles for spending $5,000 within 6 months.
2. OFFER EXPIRED – 250 Reward Dollars for the Blue Cash Preferred Card from American Express: The current public offer is for 150 Reward Dollars after you make $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership. However, with this offer, you earn 250 Reward Dollars after you make $1,000 in purchases in the first three months of Cardmembership instead – that’s $100 extra value, the equivalent of an additional 10% return on your spending.
3. OFFER EXPIRED – 150 Reward Dollars for the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express: Here’s another 50% bonus above the current public offer. You get 150 Reward Dollars when you spend $500 within the first three months with this offer instead of just 100 Reward Dollars for spending the same amount if you applied just through the current links out there.
If you’ve been considering any of these cards, now might be the time to get in on them since these offers are higher than anything we’ve seen on any of them in a long while that hasn’t been targeted. The one sticking point for you might be that much higher spending requirement on the Gold Delta Amex, but given the revised Medallion qualification requirements that include either credit card spending or airfare spending that Delta has put in place, you might already be considering spending more money on the card or airline anyway.
There is also limited time offer for the American Express Business Platinum Card where you get 40,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 in the first 3 months of card membership. If you apply for a business and personal American Express card in the same day you can receive both sign up bonuses although you will usually get 2 hits on your credit. With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
This content is not provided or commissioned by the company whose products are featured on this site. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser. This site may be compensated through the Advertiser’s affiliate programs.