This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the official consolidator of cheap Star Alliance miles (and flexible routing rules) US Airways just launched a new 100% buy miles promotion until January 31, 2013 for those who purchased miles in 2012. I just got the email, though it may be targeted – you should see it when you login to USAirways.com -> Dividend Miles -> Buy miles.
Normally miles cost 3.5 cents a piece plus tax, but with this promo they come out to just about 1.9 cents each. This isn’t as great as the share miles promo that they had in the past where miles cost just about 1.1 cents each, but not a horrible option for those people who want to buy a small amount of miles so they can leverage the share miles promo- since you need existing miles to take advantage of that bonus.
Miles are sold for $.035 cents each plus a 7.5% tax recovery charge. You can only buy up to 50,000 miles at time (100,000 with the bonus) so 100,000 miles through the buy miles promotion costs $1,881.25, or nearly 1.9 cents per mile. For 110,000 miles you can get a round trip business class ticket to South Africa, which is what I recently did. About $2,000 for an $8,000+ flight is a great deal!
Other good redemption values are 90,000 miles for business class to Asia and 60,000 miles off-peak to Europe. Also note that you get 5,000 miles off US awards if you have the US Airways MasterCard.
I’m hoping for another 1.1 Share Miles promo in the future, but I may top up my miles using this targeted offer. Keep in mind that you can also buy US Airways miles for cheap using the Mileage Multiplier.
Terms & Conditions:
– All purchases are non-refundable.
– Bonus miles will be awarded upon completion of the transaction.
– The maximum number of Buy and Gift Bonus miles that can be received by one member for this offer is 50,000 bonus miles.
– All miles purchased beyond this limit will not be eligible for a bonus.
– Offer is subject to change. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer.
– Share transactions are not eligible for bonus.
– Only purchases made online are eligible for the bonus.