Now through January, 13, 2013, British Airways is offering a 25% bonus when you transfer hotel points to the British Airways Avios program. British Airways hotel partners include Starwood, Club Carlson, Marriott, Hilton, Priority Club, Hyatt, and Shangri-La. To convert points to miles, head over to the hotel partner you want to transfer from and you will complete the transfer from the hotel site. There is no need to register for this promotion. The bonus Avios can take up to 4-6 weeks to post to your account.
As a reminder, Amex Membership Rewards currently has a 30% transfer bonus to British Airways Avios from December 3, 2012 – January 14, 2013. There is no need to register as the bonus is hard coded into the transfer page at Membership Rewards.
It really depends, but generally I find myself always needing more hotel points than airline miles, so I’m not going to take advantage of this promotion. In general, I get more value redeeming hotel points for hotels vs. transferring (at sometimes awful) ratios to airlines. In the case of SPG, 20,000 points will generally get me $600 or more in value when I redeem for Cash & Points. With this promo I could also have 31,250 Avios, which is also probably worth that much (or more depending on how you redeem your Avios), but since I can always transfer in Amex and Chase to British Airways, I value my SPG points much more. However, if you have an Avios redemption in mind and want to round up some stray hotel points you have floating around and using this 25% bonus to your advantage might be a good way to get rid of them in a more economical way than usual.
Hotel to Avios Transfer Rates:
For each Starpoint exchanged you will receive 1 Avios for a 1:1 transfer ratio, with a 5,000 Avios bonus per 20,000 points transferred. With this promo 20,000 SPG = 31,250 Avios. There is a minimum point transfer of 2,500 for SPG Preferred Guests and a 1,500 minimum points transfer for SPG Gold members. SPG Platinum members have no minimum point transfer.
With Club Carlson you can choose to convert your Gold points automatically in increments of 10,000 Gold Points (which entitles you to 1,250 Avios) or manually for the following amounts:
- 2,000 Gold Points – 250 Avios
- 50,000 Gold Points – 8,000 Avios
- 100,000 Gold Points – 18,000 Avios
The transfer ratio here is 10 HHonors points to 1 British Airways Avios. You need a minimum of 10,000 HHonors Points each time you wish to exchange your Hilton HHonors points to Avios.
Hyatt Gold Passport
Exchange your Hyatt Gold Passport points into Avios and receive 1 Avios for every 2.5 Hyatt Gold Passport points converted. A minimum of 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points is initially required for each exchange into Avios.
An exchange of 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points will award you with 2,000 Avios, and thereafter increments of 1,250 points can be converted into Avios within the same transaction. Additionally, when you choose to convert 50,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points you will receive a 5,000 Avios point bonus.
The conversion rate of Marriott Rewards Points into Avios depends on the number of points you wish to exchange but ranges from 5:1 to 2.5:1. Conversion rates are as follows:
- To convert 10,000 Rewards Points into 2,000 Avios quote code 788
- To convert 20,000 Rewards Points into 5,000 Avios quote code 789
- To convert 30,000 Rewards Points into 10,000 Avios quote code 790
- To convert 70,000 Rewards Points into 25,000 Avios quote code 565
- To convert 125,000 Rewards Points into 50,000 Avios quote code 566
You will need to have collected at least 10,000 Priority Club points in order to exchange these for Avios. 10,000 Priority Club points will provide you with 2,000 Avios at the transfer ratio of 5:1.
Shangri-La Golden Circle
1 Golden Circle Award Point is equal to 1 Avios. You need a minimum of 2,500 GC Award Points to qualify for an initial conversion to Avios. Within the same transaction you can then convert GC Award Points into Avios in 500-point increments.
Offer Terms and Conditions:
- This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An eligible participant is a person aged 18 or over and is a British Airways Executive Club Member (“BAEC”) (membership terms and conditions apply) and is enrolled and registered with one of the hotel partner loyalty programmes. By taking part in this promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the Terms and Conditions below.
- Eligible Participants can earn up to 25% Bonus Avios between 13 December 2012 and 13 January 2013 for any qualifying hotel loyalty points converted into Avios. BAEC members must enrol via the hotel property links provided on http://www.britishairways.com/travel/points-to-avios/public/
- To convert your points, please contact the hotel whose points you wish to convert to Avios.
- Taxes, fees and charges remain payable by the BAEC member.
- Bonus Avios can take 4-6 weeks to show on your account from the date of conversion. Once they have been credited, you can start redeeming them for flights, hotels and Avis car hire.· Bonus Avios is non-redeemable for cash and non-reversible.
- Bonus Avios is issued subject to the BAEC Terms and Conditions http://www.britishairways.com/travel/termcn/public/en_gb and all passengers and baggage are subject to the general terms and conditions of carriage.
- Reward flights are subject to availability and capacity control and availability may be limited at peak times.
- Hotel loyalty scheme membership, and earning and redemption of points are subject to the Terms and Conditions of each specific hotel’s loyalty scheme in addition to British Airways Terms and Conditions, as applicable.
- This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other British Airways offers or promotion.
- Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the promotion or amend these terms and conditions without prior notice at any time, for whatever reason, and without any liability to customers for doing so.
- This promotion shall be governed by the laws of England & Wales and the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author.s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.
Previous post: Destination of the Week: Oahu, Hawaii