British Airways Visa 50,000 Avios Offer is Back Through February 2013

by on November 29, 2012 · 52 comments

in British Airways, Chase, Credit Cards

Update: The current offer for the British Airways Visa is 50,000 Avios when you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months.

One of the best credit card bonus offers in the points world is back! The Chase British Airways Visa is once again offering 50,000 bonus Avios for spending $1,000 within 3 months then 25,000 more bonus Avios after you make $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening and an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make a total of $20,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening.The last time they ran the offer back in March, and this time, it will be available until February 27, 2013.

You can check out this post with all the terms and answers to frequently asked questions, but so you have the information on hand if you want to apply, here are the terms:

Offer Details

-You will get 50,000 bonus Avios after spending $1,000 within the first 3 months
-25,000 bonus Avios after you make $10,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening
-Plus an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you make a total of $20,000 in purchases within the first year of account opening
1.25 miles for every dollar spent on the card
2.5 miles per dollar spent on British Airways travel
No foreign transaction fees
-New: Smart Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip-based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.
Companion certificate after $30,000 in spend. This companion ticket allows a second miles redemption for free. So if you use 100,000 miles for a business class ticket from Los Angeles to London, the second business class ticket costs 0 miles (you only pay taxes). A huge value if used properly.
$95 annual fee
Application link

Last time this offer came around, I created a whole series on Maximizing the British Airways Visa and the various features of the card as well as British Airways’ Avios frequent flyer program. Here are the posts:

Master FAQ Post on British Airways 100,000 Mile Offer

Spotlight on Taxes and Fees

Distance-Based Awards

Travel Together Companion Ticket

Household Accounts,

Using Avios to Upgrade Paid Tickets

The Avios and Cash Option

Save Money on Fuel Surcharges by Transferring British Airways Avios to Iberia

Using Avios For Non-Flight Redemptions

Using Avios to Book Domestic First Class FlightsDirect Flights, London Stopovers and UK DestinationsHow to Redeem British Airways Avios Without Huge Fees

Although the spending requirements are pretty high – $20,000 within a year in order to secure the whole 100,000 Avios bonus – if you can hit that spend, this card can be a great deal. I carry it myself and find elements of it like the fact that I get a 10% rebate on BA tickets purchased with the card to be real, tangible benefits. In order to get 10% off when you book, go to ba.com/Chase10 and use the Promotion code: CARDOFFERU

Not only that, but if you can spend $30,000 on it within a calendar year, you can get an extremely valuable Travel Together Companion Ticket that could be worth over $10,000 depending on how you redeem it. That said, if you are gunning for the companion ticket, remember that the $30,000 you need to spend to get it is tallied by calendar year, so you might want to wait until January to start spending on it so that every dollar in 2013 counts.

So one option you have if you’re considering multiple credit card applications this winter is to get another Chase card now, like the Ink Bold or Ink Plus, and then to wait until January or February to get the British Airways Visa, just to space out your Chase applications a little.

A question I’m asked a lot is whether you can get this card if you’ve already had it since they’ve run this offer back in 2010 and 2011. If you got the card one of those times and have already cancelled it, you might be able to get this bonus again and it might make sense for you to do so since with all the spending required, you’ll end up with at least 125,000 more British Airways Avios.

Have any readers been able to get this card more than once? If so, how long did you wait between closing the old card and getting the new one? Share your experiences with other TPG readers below!

raycifer November 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

The app link says 50k. Is there something I’m missing?

Ben Hughes November 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Amazing. If you are self-employed, putting your taxes on cards is an easy way to meet minimum spending requirements. The IRS charges 1.89% on VISA, but if you value points around that or above it, it’s essentially a wash – and making it far easier to hit those limits. Might consider this come January before Jan 15th estimated taxes due.

David Elden November 29, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I got this BA card once back in early 2011 and used the 50,000 miles to get a one-way business class award flight from JFK to PKK. After canceling the card in February 2012, I waited and applied for the card again in July. I got approved and received the card along with 50,000 more miles after my first purchase. I don’t even try for the full bonus since the spend requirement is so high.

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

raycifer – Not missing anything. The wrong link has been posted. It should be: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/credit-cards/public/en_us

Dani Klein November 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Yeah, app says 50k bonus, not 100k.

Dani Klein November 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Assuming the 100k bonus, is it worth doing just for the 50k bonus with first purchase?
Getting the extra 50K seems like a major chore given the spend threshold.

Dani Klein November 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Here is the right link to the 100k offer: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/credit-cards/public/en_us

Eric November 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm

That’s odd – the link was redirecting to the old offer. It should be fixed now. Thank you for pointing it out.

AirD0c November 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Karl the link you posted is for 100k avios, however you get 50k after $1000. This is contrary to what is posted above (“first purchase”) – Brian can you clarify? Do you have a different referral link?

The Points Guy November 29, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Karl is correct – the 50,000 initial bonus is after $1,000 spend in 3 months – that was an accidental omission, but the post is corrected.

Curious November 29, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I currently have a BA Visa card that gave me 100,000 miles after $1,500 spend back in 2011 (oh how good we had it then). How long do I need to have it cancelled before I can successfully apply for this card? If I cancel today would I be able to apply in Feb 2013?

Scott November 29, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I did this last year. I gotta add that BritishAir is the lamest points program I’ve experienced. It’s extremely difficult to take avantage of the miles for US customers not in major travel hubs. Taxes and fees are ridiculous for travel on BA. Partner flights are difficult to find.

Jet November 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Thank you so much for summing it all up! You seem to do it best!!

thepointsguy November 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

It takes some finessing because britishairways.com is buggy, but cheap partner flights- especially short and mid haul can be insane values

thepointsguy November 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Fixed

ChrisJ November 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

The Ts and Cs say you are not eligible because you already had it. But Brain’s FAQ says that some people can still manage to get it.

I wish there was more clarity on this. Like you, I am tempted to try it again!!!!

Rich November 29, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’ve had it multiple times – waited at least a year inbetween

oozze November 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hi,
This is a little bit unrelated, but I just completed the 75k amex gold and wanting to transfer that to British Airway, and maybe to top it, i will apply this card in Jan 2013.
Can you tell me the step to transfer Amex rewards pts to BA? and, how would you find out if amex / ba is running that 40% ot 50% transfer promo again? do you know when they will run it again?

Thks!

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’ve seen various bloggers claim that BA will be running a +30% bonus starting in a few days. I’m not convinced that there’ll be anything much better than that for a while, but you never know.

To transfer, log in to your American Express account, and then go to this link:

It’s pretty easy to set up if you haven’t done so already.

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm

It really isn’t surprising that it’s not geared up towards small airports in the US. It’s a British frequent flyer scheme. However, IF you can find a direct short- to mid-haul flight on the AA site, you can normally book it easily through the BA site for considerably less BA avios than AA miles, and taxes & fees are no different. Personally I’ve had no problems finding some great AA redemptions, even in economy. I recently bought direct LAX-LIH (Los Angeles, CA to Lihue, HI) return flights for myself and my partner for 50,000 miles (25,000 each return), only one month before flying, purely through the BA booking engine.

And if you happen to be traveling from the US to the UK, you’re basically paying more for much better availability – and in many cases better service – than most of the competition. It’s certainly not worth it for economy flights, but if you consider business and first class to be like paying for an economy ticket and upgrading it’s pretty decent value.

Tim Adler November 29, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Really interesting.

My wife and I did this offer a year or two ago. My wife used hers to get economy class flights LAX -> MEL. I used my AA points to get the same flight. Via BA we were charged ~$600 in fees and taxes, and almost nothing for the AA frequent flyer ticket. The flights were on Qantas of course.

Now the interesting part… I just priced the same ticket just now and it is showing as 100K avios return, but with $0 fees and taxes.

Did I miss something? Did they drop some of the fees and taxes when they switched to Avios, or is this likely a mistake on the AVIOS pricing website? http://www.britishairways.com/travel/avios-calculator/public/en_us#CalculatePod

Adam November 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

dead. such short-lived! I saw on the terms this morning that the offer would last till Feb 2013…. too many good Chase offers!

Gustavo. November 29, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Good to know! … because at their current offer they mention something like “This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.”

Eric November 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

The offer’s not dead, the application page is still up.

AirD0c November 29, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Are you using the Avios calculator? If so try pricing out your flights using an a actual redemption search. Unfortunately the calculator is a bit generous.

Enrique K November 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Can you use BA points on other airlines without a high fuel surcharge?

AirD0c November 29, 2012 at 6:31 pm

For all of you having trouble with links, try using an google chrome incognito browser. Something in my cache was preventing the links from working.

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

It depends on the airline, but in most cases, yes. Certainly on the US carriers I’ve seen.

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Policies change fairly rapidly. If it says $0 and you want to book it, go for it! Maybe take a screenshot too?

Karl Mitchell November 29, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Highly unlikely. I’ve heard everything from 1 year to 3 years on Chase cards. YMMV.

Oozze November 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Thank you!

Adam November 29, 2012 at 7:27 pm

interesting. was gone for a while and now it’s back! too bad I just got the Ink Plus and Priority Club.

abarmot November 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Do you think they will pull credit report even if they deny because you had it before?

PJ November 29, 2012 at 11:19 pm

good to know ; I had to turn in one card ( i chose BA) to get my Sapphire Preferred; now time to get it back it I want it.

PJ November 29, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Domestic SHORT HAULS ON BA ALASKA AIRS and South American are best for Avios

PJ November 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm

AA not BA

TimmyD November 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm

If I remember correctly, there was a way this summer to get a 100K Avios offer with this card that did not require the big spend for the final 50K that this offer has. (I just missed signing up in time for that offer) Is anyone of the opinion that it could be worth waiting for a better(easier spend) offer?

Marty December 1, 2012 at 10:33 am

Question – - I got this card back in March. Haven’t hit the 20k threshold yet, but did get the 50k already. Does this mean I have to make the remaining amount in purchases by Dec. 31? Yikes. I thought it was first year of cardmember holding.

Eric December 1, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Only the Travel Together ticket is timed on the calendar year, your spending threshold deadlines are based on the date of account opening.

Karl Mitchell December 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Despite having got 3 Chase cards over the past 9 months, I was approved without calling reconsideration, albeit with a tiny $2k limit. I think I must have just hit my credit limit with Chase. Time to start shifting some balances.

Karl Mitchell December 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I’ve just realised that a $2k limit is inconsistent with getting given the Visa Signature; It sounds like I’m on a lower tier version of the card. If so, does that affect the benefits? Also, can I get upgraded?

John K December 4, 2012 at 7:44 pm

is the 95 NOT waived the first year?

Tntkp January 8, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Just curious about this offer. Both my partner and I applied and receieved the original 100K offer on the BA Visa. Closed those after several months. Just applied for the new BA Visa offer, and strangley-my partner was approved instantly, and I was told that it needed to be reviewed prior to approval. (I am employed and have approx. 100K income, and both the United and Saphire Presferred cards open; partner is retired and only has the United card opened) Has been about a week, and have heard nothing on my card, just emails saying he will be getting his in a couple of days. Should I be calling a resolution line?? And if so, anyone have the number?
Thanks,
Tim

Bruce Jones January 9, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Be aware that the current cards CHASE is sending out with the embedded security chip can not be used in most stores in Argentina. The vendor will receive an error “Chip or Call” and they will have no idea what to do with it. You will be stuck. I am there now and it’s been a serious pain.

Tim Adler January 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Just tried it again, and it is now showing the fees again. Oh well – I thought it was too good to be true.

Kris January 30, 2013 at 11:43 pm

where does it say that bonus offer is valid only for first-time card members with new accounts and not for existing card holders?

Gustavo January 31, 2013 at 4:49 am

Under “Offer details” -> “Earn enough Bonus Avios towards a Round-trip Business Class Award Flight”, last phrase.

Kris January 31, 2013 at 9:04 am

Thanks , Gustavo..Just saw it ..

‘ This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time card members with new accounts. Previous and existing cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer. ‘

I have cancelled my previous BA card,reapplied and got approved ..lets see what happens ..Will keep posted..Thanks again !

Eric March 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm

How long of a hiatus before this offer usually comes back?

Lauren April 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Update — had the card, got the 100K, cancelled the card and about a month later opened it again — just got my first 50K. So I guess I am going to spend, spend, spend and see if they will give me the rest!