Chase recently launched a Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Card for Canadian residents and while it’s not the most earth-shattering deal (especially compared to their US offers) it does have a bunch of benefits that might make a lot of sense for Canadians. It does not have foreign transaction fees, which is a relatively unique feature in the Canadian card market and while the $120 annual fee is a little steep, you get a free night at up to a category 5 hotel every year, which could easily outweigh the annual fee. In addition, the card gives 15 elite credit nights per year and 5 points per dollar spent at Marriott
Here are the key perks of this card:
- 30,000 Bonus Points after your first purchase
- 1 Free Night Stay at a Category 1-4 location after account approval
- Together, that’s enough for up to 5 Free Nights at a Category 1 Hotel (or 4 free nights at a Category 2 hotel)
- No Foreign Currency Transaction Charges on international purchases in addition to the exchange rate
- 5 points per $1 spent at over 3,500 participating Marriott locations
- 2 points for every $1 spent on airline tickets purchased directly with the airline, and at car rental agencies & restaurants
- 1 point per $1 spent on purchases elsewhere
- Achieve the next Elite membership level faster with 15 Nights Credit every year
- Receive one anniversary bonus free night stay at a Category 1-5 hotel every year just for having the card
- No charge for additional cards
- Plus, the Annual Fee is waived for the first year, then $120 thereafter
So while this card is not a life-changing product, I did want to share it because I always feel bad for our fellow Canadian mile and point hounds since their credit card bonuses are much less lucrative overall than in the US (though I am kind of jealous of the constant RBC Avion transfer bonuses!).
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.