This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Earlier this week I blogged about status matching and challenging elite status and that I recently was offered a match to United Platinum, simply by emailing them my American Airlines Executive Platinum information. Here’s my email exchange – as you can see, this didn’t end up as planned and I’m not happy about it.
My original email to email@example.com:
I am currently an American Airlines Executive Platinum member and would like to bring my business to United. Will you match me to 1K? If so I will switch to United.
My MileagePlus is 12345
A copy of my AA statement is attached (I had taken a screenshot of my online account statement and attached the JPG). Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!”
Response less than 24 hours later:
“Hello Mr Kelly,
We’re always glad to hear from MileagePlus® members like you. Thanks for writing.
We would be happy to grant you status in the MileagePlus program. The one consideration we would have, we match American Executive Platinum at Platinum. You would have Platinum for the rest of this year and all of next. Let us know if that is what you would like to do.
We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
“Is there any way to get to 1K- even with a challenge? If not, I’ll take Platinum. Thanks!”
Within 36 hours I get the following:
“Hello Mr. Kelly,
Even after the introduction of the Chase Sapphire Reserve, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is still a fantastic choice if you want to avoid the Reserve’s $450 annual fee, earn 2x on all travel & dining and earn a 50,000 point sign up bonus.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Named Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, July 2016
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards