This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day…especially when you’ve got a packed travel schedule of busy days. Often breakfast is the meal travelers skip most at hotels thanks to a lack of options and overpriced menus. However, many hotels and loyalty programs offer their members a variety of perks including free breakfast. Here are some ways you can start your day right at your hotel of choice.
1. Hyatt: Hyatt provides Hyatt Diamond members access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge which has a complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres. However, for hotels without lounges, Diamond members get even luckier, since they then receive daily complimentary full breakfast – though this benefit can vary wildly. Generally you can order whatever you want from the hotel restaurant, and some hotels will even let you get room service. Some hotels like the Andaz Wall Street will give you a certain dollar amount per stay (like $50) and others are really generous, like the Andaz West Hollywood where a Diamond member’s entire bill is comped up to four people. Usually the benefit is only good for the number of people registered to your room, so if you are using points, always put 2 people since it won’t change the rate.
2. Starwood: Starwood recently announced new SPG Elite Benefits this year. SPG Platinum members can now choose to have continental breakfast as their Platinum amenity instead of bonus Starpoints or local amenities. SPG Platinum members automatically receive club access at Sheraton and Westin Hotels with club lounges. If there isn’t a club lounge at the property, then these guests can choose the continental breakfast choice as their Platinum amenity at check-in. An SPG Platinum member plus one additional guest staying on the reservation can start each day with juice, coffee, pastries, cereal, and yogurt when they choose the continental breakfast amenity. There is an interesting Flyertalk Thread about how specific properties are honoring this benefit. Some hotels such as the W Los Angeles-Westwood only provide a $12.50 breakfast credit per day for up to two guests, while others are including entire buffet breakfasts. However, those that only include the continental breakfast may offer a buy-up option to the full hot buffet as well.
3. Hilton: With Hilton, depending on your status and if you receive an upgrade, you may be eligible for breakfast. Hilton HHonors Gold guests will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if they receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor. However, Hilton Diamond HHonors guests, will always receive complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge, even if they are not staying on the Executive Floor. Hilton Gold guests can either choose 1,000 bonus points at check-in or complimentary continental breakfast for two daily. Hilton Diamond Members will receive complimentary continental breakfast for themselves and up to one additional registered hotel guest daily in addition to the 1,000 bonus points and Executive Floor access.
4. Marriott: Marriott offers their Gold and Platinum members breakfast in the form of the club lounge spread or at the hotel restaurant if there is no lounge. Gold and Platinum Rewards members receive complimentary continental breakfast in the Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If the hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, then these guests can enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on their weekday stays. However, outside the U.S. and Canada, Gold and Platinum Rewards members are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. Marriott stands behind their breakfast benefit by offering $100 USD as compensation in the event that this guarantee is not met.
5. American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts: American Express Platinum cardmembers enjoy special amenities when staying at any of the 700+ hotel partners around the world. Amenities include a complimentary room upgrade, daily continental breakfast for two, 4pm late checkout and a unique amenity that varies at each property. While this only specifies a continental breakfast many hotels will provide a breakfast credit where you can order anything and they will just credit your account a set amount. Then there are reports of other properties where you can order whatever you want for breakfast and the whole bill will be taken off. Booking through Amex’s Fine Hotels and Resorts portal also usually confers a $100 food or resort credit, which is in addition to the breakfast benefit.
Bianca Restaurant at the Delano Hotel Miami, a Visa Signature property.
6. Visa Signature Hotels: When you book through Visa Signature Hotels, you and one guest will receive complimentary continental breakfast for the length of your stay. If the hotel does not offer continental breakfast, they will offer another dining or other benefit of equal value. In addition, during your hotel stay you will receive one $25 voucher (sometimes more–for instance on a recent stay at the Public Hotel in Chicago, I got a $100 food and beverage credit) good for food and beverage within the hotel. Visa Signature cards include the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire, British Airways Visa, the Hyatt card, the Marriott Rewards Premier and Marriott Rewards cards, the Southwest Plus card, Bank of America’s Alaska Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines cards,Capital One Venture, Citi Hilton HHonors, US Bank FlexPerks, Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature, and many more, so chances are you’re carrying at least one of them in your wallet.
7. Ritz-Carlton: As part of the Ritz-Carlton Rewards Credit Card, one of the benefits is that cardholders receive three upgrades annually to The Ritz-Carlton Club Level on paid stays of up to seven nights each. While many of the club lounges will offer a hot breakfast buffet, all feature an array of typical morning fare of cereal, pastries, and fresh fruit. In addition to breakfast, small sandwiches and salads are served at lunch and afternoon tea. In the evening there is cocktails and pre-dinner snacks, cordials and chocolates. On top of the breakfast benefit, cardholders also receive $100 in hotel dining credit for each stay of two nights or more which can be used toward food and beverage, spa treatments and more.
8. Stay at brands that include breakfast: Embassy Suites offers guests a free cooked-to-order breakfast with every stay. Guests are usually presented with a variety of hot and cold items including custom omelets, pancakes, sausage and bacon, fruit, pastries and cereals, and hot and cold beverages. Holiday Inn Express also provides a complimentary buffet breakfast for all guests which includes scrambled eggs, cheese omelets, bacon and sausage, biscuits, sticky-sweet cinnamon rolls, an assortment of fresh fruits, yogurt, and breakfast cereals and breads and pancakes. Hyatt Place has their new morning skillet which is free to all guests. This breakfast benefit includes hot breakfast sandwiches, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon French toast, and steel-cut oatmeal.
Palm Court at the Fairmont Plaza.
9. Get the Fairmont Credit Card: Not only do consumers who open a Chase Fairmont credit card get two free nights at any Fairmont in the world (a potentially huge value) after they make $1,000 in purchases within 3 months, but those free nights also include complimentary breakfast for two. Not only are the free room certificates a great value since some Fairmonts like the Plaza and partner properties including the Raffles Le Royal Monceau in Paris can cost over $1,000 per night, but breakfast at these high-end properties for two people can run well over $100.
10. Club Carlson: Club Carlson guests who stay 30 times a year or 75 nights are called Concierge members and receive one complimentary continental breakfast per night of that member’s stay. Continental breakfast offerings will vary by hotel but may include an assortment of cereals, breads, fresh fruit, juices, coffee, tea and milk and may be provided via buffet or menu in the hotel restaurant as determined by the participating Radisson, Park Inn, or Park Plaza hotel. Complimentary continental breakfast is not available through room service. It's a stellar Cash Back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.
It's a stellar Cash Back card on its own, but when paired with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or Chase Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom's 5x Category Bonuses let you rack up Chase Ultimate Rewards Points, transferrable to partners or redeemable via the portal.