This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As you can tell from today’s yesterday post about the official end of Continental, a lot of people have been asking questions about just what that will mean for the Continental Airlines OnePass Plus Card from Chase.
I got word from Chase that the bank will be deactivating links to the card application on March 1, 2012.
“Chase is discontinuing the Continental Airlines OnePass Plus Card, effective Thursday, March 1, 2012. Please note that the links for the Continental Airlines OnePass Plus Card will cease to function as of March 1.”
So what I’d recommend is, if you were thinking of getting the OnePass Plus Card, first try for the 60,000-mile bonus offer that I wrote about here. If that doesn’t work, here’s my link to the 40,000 point bonus application.
Remember, as I said in this reader question post, “United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will only receive one 25,000 bonus miles award if they apply for both the United Explorer Card and the Continental OnePass Plus Card after 7/19/2011.” So, if you got the United Explorer Card after that date, you’re out of luck.
But, if you got a United/ Continental card before that, you should be fine to get this bonus. The rules currently state you won’t be able to also get the Explorer bonus at a later time and date, though those rules can change at any time so I’d rather get the Continental card now and worry about getting the Explorer card at a later time and date.
To learn more about the benefits of the OnePass Plus and the United Explorer Card, you can look at this past post.
For a strategy on maximizing Continental/United miles through credit cards, take a look at this previous post.
The standard sign-up offer for these co-branded cards is 30,000 miles after you spend $1,000 in the first three months, so the current bonus is a significant step up. TPG values United miles at 1.5 cents apiece, so this 50,000-mile sign-up bonus gets you $750 in value.
- Special offer: 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open
- Check your first bag for free (a savings of up to $100 per roundtrip) when you use your Card to purchase your ticket
- Enjoy priority boarding privileges and visit the United Club with 2 one-time passes each year for your anniversary
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United, and 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
- Your miles don't expire as long as your credit card account is open, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn
- Use your miles for any seat, any time, on any United-operated flight at the MileagePlus Standard Award level
- $95 annual fee