I just got an email that the Chase Hyatt Visa will have a new offer on Monday February 27, 2012 and that I should stop promoting the current sign-up bonus as of today, February 24 at 6pm EST. I’ve tried my hardest to find out what the offer will be, but I haven’t been able to get any answers. Usually when a card is deactivated and reactivated, it’s a major change like what happened in the fall with the Ink Bold card. They said changes were going to happen and instead of the 50,000 point sign-up bonus changing, they actually introduced a completely new Ink Bold card with new benefits like no foreign transaction fees and category spend bonuses like 5 points per dollar on wireless, cable and office supplies.
I applied for the Ink Bold before the changes went into effect because I most valued the 50k bonus. Even though the bonus didn’t change with the new card, Chase now treats the new Ink Bold as a completely new product, so I can apply for the new Ink Bold for another 50,000 points!
Today I finally applied for the Hyatt Visa because the sign-up bonus is two free nights at any Hyatt in the world after $1,000 spend within 3 months and if you are Diamond member, the bonus is two free nights confirmed in a suite and earned after first purchase. I am a Hyatt Diamond and I’m planning a trip to Paris soon, which means I can get two nights in a suite at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome (easily $1,000 per night) for simply applying for the card and paying the $75 annual fee. Not only that, Hyatt recently introduced the annual benefit of a free night at a category 1-4 hotel, so that more than covers the annual fee.
I also wanted to get the card sooner or later because Hyatt’s current promotion gives you a 25% bonus if you have the Hyatt Visa (you don’t actually need to pay for your stay with it). Additionally, it’s good to have because it doesn’t have foreign transaction fees and if you don’t have Hyatt elite status, you automatically get Platinum for being a cardholder.
I did hesitate for a minute debating whether I should wait to hear the new offer in case it’s better, but that wouldn’t make any sense because Chase will generally give you the best offer for a card within 90 days of applying. So if the offer on Monday does change to something better, I’ll just contact Chase and ask to be given the better offer.
So there you have it – I don’t know what the new offer is, but if it is something negative at least you’ve been warned! Now I’m off to enjoy my weekend in Dublin… thanks for all of the great tips so far!
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the credit card issuer. Opinions expressed here are author.s alone, not those of the credit card issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the credit card issuer. This site may be compensated through the credit card issuer Affiliate Program.