Get Paid to Write About Points and Travel

by on January 24, 2012 · 8 comments

in General TPG Business

I’m putting out a call for contributors to all TPG readers who have something valuable to say. My managing editor, Eric, and I are looking for experts on different airline, hotel, car and credit card programs who want to share their insider tips and tricks – and make some cash while doing it.

I will still be blogging daily with my take on the best promotions and expert tips, but I personally believe there are so many insider tips out there that I simply cannot be the expert on everything. I am looking for a few great points pros to become the TPG in-house experts on various loyalty programs as well as travel niches such as business travel, expat travel, meeting planners, family travel and more. Contributors will be paid per post with the potential for bonuses and columnist opportunities.

Now, before we get inundated with ideas and fully written articles, there are a few things to keep in mind.

If you’re going to write about any points program, you must:

1. Know all the ins and out about the program you are writing about. Please tell us why you are an expert in the area you’d like to write about.

2. Have something completely original, timely and interesting to share that we haven’t seen all over the other blogs … or here on ThePointsGuy.com (so read my backlog of posts).

We are ONLY looking for new material, secret tips on acquiring and using points that you won’t find anywhere else, and above all, a unique professional take and tone. We will discuss pay once we’ve identified you as a potential writer for the site.

You can direct your ideas and submissions to Eric: [email protected]. I suggest pitching us an idea first before you put the time into writing a post and Eric will work directly with you if it is something we decide would make sense for the site.

As always, feel free to ask any questions, but I look forward to amping up the content level on the site and hearing what you have to say!

Anon January 24, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I know you said that you only want ORIGINAL material, but please don’t start posting about covert earning tips that have already been posted on other blogs and sites like FT and MP. Per your post, topics that have threads on other sites and blogs (search boardingarea.com first) should be cut.

Anonymous January 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Agreed

Jamison January 24, 2012 at 6:51 pm

awesome! i would be up for this

Rich Bakken January 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Hi all – wondering if anyone else has checked out their MP accounts on United for the preview of the new setup. When I logged in I was extended a personal offer to purchase EQM to reach the next level from last year (for me, Platinum) at a rate of $349 per 1000 needed. Since I’m 9000 short, my cost would be $1742.

Anyone else receive this? Not really sure this is a good deal…

Times Square Hotel January 25, 2012 at 12:53 am

I recognize that you just are not going to make any cash composing on travel issues for other people. I know everyone has a different objective with their weblogs, but I’m inclined more and more towards marketers rather than individuality and tale based weblogs as a way to generate income while journeying. For example if your a RTW visitor there is only so much cash available to you because your visitors is hard to discover, and so endemic that its hard to discover promoters.
Times Square Hotel

John Moore January 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

A topic I would like to see covered sometime is Million Miler Status…maybe a Sunday Reader Question or a topic your new writer could address? I have it, but it doesn’t feel very “special.”

Rowergirl February 27, 2012 at 10:19 pm

AIR PACIFIC’S “SEAT RESERVATION” IS A JOKE!
Pardon the interruption — I searched and couldn’t figure out where to write a post about the worst airline experience I just had on Air Pacific. I thought that I had done my research by going through several travel blogs, but I didn’t see anything that prepared me for this. So for anyone reading this, here it goes: I bought my ticket super early — around March or April 2011 for a February 2012 flight. I spotted what I thought was a good deal and I wanted to make sure that if I were going to sit in economy, that I’d have the most comfortable seat possible (per SeatGuru). So I booked early and reserved a bulkhead aisle. And I double checked before leaving early for the airport (Air Pacific doesn’t allow online check-in — that should have been a red flag right there). When I arrived at LAX, the agent tried to give me another seat. Somehow my seat reservation was “gone”. Well, I got an aisle and was closer to my travel companion (who had booked later) so that was okay. On the way home, I got in line to checkin at 7 p.m. for a 10:50 p.m. flight home. (Extra early!) I couldn’t figure out why it was already crowded. When I got to the counter, the agent told me that my bulkhead aisle had been given away to a passenger who checked in at Sydney (apparently the flight originated in Austrlia, although they must have had a long layover as no one was on the plane?). I plead my case about reserving this seat many months ago and double checking, but my pleas fell on deaf ears. The agent was, frankly, rude. I still managed to get an aisle seat, which she promised me was next to an empty middle seat. Alas, when I got on the plane, the window passenger was already seated and gave me an earful for taking his friend’s seat and forcing his friend to sit in the middle seat! I explained that my own seat had been given away. Several passengers told me the same thing: that Air Pacific “seat reservations” are a joke and they give away all the seats upon check in. NEVER, EVER will I fly Air Pacific again! Not even in business/first class! Air Pacific is a code-share partner with Quantas and Air New Zealand for these flights, so all should be warned.

PS — on Air Pacific’s website, the company advertises a “stretch seating” option for which you can pay about $400. It’s not business class; its supposed to be seating on the top level of the 474 with an extra seat. Well, after putting me on hold for several minutes, the agent on the phone came back to say that he didn’t know what that was about. And both counter agents at LAX and Fiji (NAN) had no clue either!