American Airlines, who just announced an amazing double elite miles promotion, also announced a new promo to buy back expired miles through December 31, 2011. Normally AA allows you to buy back miles at $50 for every 5,000 miles (subject to 7.5% Federal excise tax), plus a $30 processing charge per transaction, per account.
- Contact AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 (ask for “AAdvantage Account” at the Main Menu)
- Reactivate rates are as follows, plus 7.5% federal excise tax
- $200 – to reactivate 1 – 50,000 expired miles
- $400- to reactivate 50,001 – 75,000 expired miles
- $600 – to reactivate more than 75,000 expired miles
If you know someone who has lost a ton of miles, this could be a cheaper way to get them back. However, if you’ve loss less than 20,000 miles I wouldn’t recommend buying the miles back unless you know you can use them for more than 1 cent a piece towards future redemptions.
Hat tip TPG reader Miriam!