This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines, who just announced an amazing double elite miles promotion, also announced a new promo to buy back expired miles through December 31, 2011. Normally AA allows you to buy back miles at $50 for every 5,000 miles (subject to 7.5% Federal excise tax), plus a $30 processing charge per transaction, per account.
- Contact AAdvantage Customer Service at 1-800-882-8880 (ask for “AAdvantage Account” at the Main Menu)
- Reactivate rates are as follows, plus 7.5% federal excise tax
- $200 – to reactivate 1 – 50,000 expired miles
- $400- to reactivate 50,001 – 75,000 expired miles
- $600 – to reactivate more than 75,000 expired miles
If you know someone who has lost a ton of miles, this could be a cheaper way to get them back. However, if you’ve loss less than 20,000 miles I wouldn’t recommend buying the miles back unless you know you can use them for more than 1 cent a piece towards future redemptions.
Hat tip TPG reader Miriam!
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard®
|Intro APR||Regular APR||Annual Fee||Balance Transfer||Credit Rating|
|N/A||14.24% - 22.24%* (Variable)||$95, waived for first 12 months*||See Terms||Excellent/Good|