November 05, 2011
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It came to light this week that Delta is now picking up some lucky passengers in Atlanta in luxury Porsche sedans and SUVs. Details are still scarce, but a Delta rep on Flyertalk did confirm:
I see that you’ve noticed a few of the spanking new vehicles trolling around ATL. It’s true that we have a team dedicated to transporting our highest value customers around the Atlanta hub and they’ve got a fleet of several vehicles with which to do so. As part of our partnership with Porsche (which includes shipping cars from Germany to Atlanta), they’ve provided us with a few fancy new rides to add to our VIP fleet. A couple of things to clarify: 1. Delta didn’t pay for these cars.
2. You won’t see any of our executives in these cars – they’re for HVCs only.
3. The Porsches are quite literally a new toy we get to play with so we’re testing out how to best use them. Right now, and for the foreseeable future, they’ll be used as a “surprise and delight” for some of our best customers. If you’re lucky enough to score a ride in one of these vehicles, let us know how you liked it!”
So it looks like Porsche is banking on raising its brand awareness with high-value Delta customers (and the thousands of passengers who gawk as the lucky chosen few get driven off).
One Flyertalker reported
that they actually drove him from his plane to his car in the parking garage – a pretty awesome benefit, especially at the behemoth of an airport as Atlanta Hartsfield.
While I don’t see this benefit rolling out on a larger scale, I still think its a creative way to build loyalty and be competitive – especially as Southwest makes a larger play into the Atlanta market with their Airtran acquisition.
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 30,000 bonus miles after you make $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within your first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months.
- Earn 2 Miles per dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on all other eligible purchases.
- Check your first bag free on every Delta flight - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle in sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
||$0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95