This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I’m usually skeptical of “special discounts” on airline fares, because I feel like they always restrict the cheapest fare classes, thus negating most of the value of the discount. However, I was happily surprised when I researched the current 25% Off Iberia fare sale when you use an American Express card until 10/31/11.
To test it, I priced out a business class fare during the discounted Thanksgiving weekend. For JFK-MAD November 25-29 the regular fare came to $1,495.10, which is pretty good in itself.
With the 25% off the fare dropped to $1,280.10, which is pretty incredible for roundtrip, total JFK to Madrid (7,177 miles roundtrip). These are I fares, which earn 100% base miles, 25% class of service bonus, 1.5 EQPs and any elite bonuses.
Plus, this would qualify for the current Oneworld transatlantic bonuses that AA is offering (25,000 bonus miles for first trip). Also, you get 3 points per dollar on airfare if you book this using your Amex Premier Rewards Gold card, which is another easy 3,600+ points.
Many of these flights are actually on AA 757’s which aren’t the best and certainly not the worst. For my recent review of JFK-MAD on AA in business class check out this post.
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees