This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My experience on this week’s Star Mega Do 3 has been a whirlwind – a one day trip to Munich, which ended up being filled with airline delays and rushing through airports to events – but overall it’s been a great experience. I’ll write a summary post once I have time to breathe next week.
We were delayed flying to Chicago on Lufthansa and when we arrived, we were met with insanely long lines for customs and immigration. The US citizen line was at least an hour long and the US visitor line was over 4 hours long! Yes, a poor Australian participant of Star Mega Do waited 4 hours to get processed and missed that evening’s event at the Park Hyatt Chicago.
I luckily got through in 10 seconds because I have Global Entry, which I’ve written about before. Basically, you just fill out an online form, pay $100 (which will get automatically refunded if you use an American Express Platinum Card), wait a couple weeks for the government to process your background and make sure you should be a “trusted traveler” and then you go to a Global Entry Enrollment Center for your “interview” – which consists of them telling you how to use the kiosk. My advice is to just plan the interview when you have upcoming travel through one of these airports. I’d recommend submitting your application about 3 months before your travel date, just so they have enough time to process it.
Even if you only fly internationally once a year, this benefit could pay off greatly. I can’t tell you how amazing it feels to zip through in 10 seconds when you would have had to wait in a hot crowded room for hours. Personally, that time and frustration saved is worth more than lounge access!
While this premium card has one of the highest annual fees on the market, it has several valuable perks that could make it worthwhile, depending on your travel patterns. These include a $200 annual airline rebate, lounge access, free Hilton Gold status and free Starwood Preferred Guest Gold status.
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees