This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My handy American Express Insite toolbar alerted me to a pretty good deal recently when I visited emirates.com. “Savings of (10) percent are applicable on all unrestricted annual roundtrip fares and savings of five (5) percent are applicable on all restricted roundtrip fares sold only via www.emirates.com/us/americanexpress. Offer is only applicable to tickets purchased with any valid American Express Card from July 25, 2011 from 12:01 AM (EDT) till March 31, 2012 11:59 PM (PDT). Fares valid only when utilizing scheduled Emirates non-stop transatlantic service (Emirates flights EK 201, 202, 203, 204, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 225 and 226) to and from New York (JFK), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO). Savings is applicable to all Emirates destinations. Travel must commence by March 31, 2012. Black out dates may apply. Fares quoted include applicable discounts, taxes and fees. No redemption necessary. Fares are subject to terms and conditions as posted. Savings are only applicable to fares that are available at time of booking on www.emirates.com/us/americanexpress.”
I decided to make a dummy booking for JFK-DXB for Nov 3-13 and the regular site gave me a price of $1,496.90. Using the Amex discount link, I got a price of $1,436.90 – a 5% discount off the base fare. Not bad for simply using my Premier Rewards Gold card, which also gets me 3x points in airfare!
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- See Rates & Fees