According to today’s press release, Gold and Platinum Delta Amex cardmembers will soon receive priority boarding when flying with Delta. Priority boarding means early access to overhead bin space and a less stressful boarding experience. However, I imagine the “priority” boarding on many flights will now be over half the plane because his benefit extends up to 8 companions traveling with the cardmember, much like the First Bag Free benefit.
The priority boarding benefit will begin September 1st, as will another perk: a 20% discount on all eligible in-flight purchases for cardmembers and their travelmates. Examples of Delta in-flight amenities include; video games, beverages, movies, food and tv shows.
What are your thoughts on these new perks? As a Delta elite, I’m a little annoyed there will be more people with priority boarding, but frankly I am usually upgraded to first class and since Delta boards first class before elites, this shouldn’t affect me too much. Overall, I don’t think we should be too surprised – I think we all know how much the airlines value their credit card partnerships so I only suspect more perks will be given to cardholders as airlines compete for not only premium passengers, but premium passengers who spend a lot on credit cards.
If you are considering getting one of these cards, right now you can receive 25,000 miles when you sign-up (and add two additional cards) for the American Express Delta Gold card. There is a $95 annual fee, waived for the first year. Receive 22,500 miles (5,000 MQMs) when you sign-up (and add one additional card) for American Express Delta Platinum. There is a $150 annual fee.
Other Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Benefits and Features (per the press release)
American Express offers several Delta co-brand Credit Cards, including the Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards, and Delta Reserve Credit Card, which feature many benefits in addition to priority boarding and in-flight savings:
- A free checked bag on every Delta flight – up to a $50 savings per person on a round-trip ticket – available for the Cardmember and up to eight people traveling in their reservation
- One mile for every eligible dollar spent on the Card
- Double miles for all Delta purchases
- No limit to the number of miles Cardmembers can earn and miles don’t expire
- Ability to “Pay with Miles” – Cardmembers can pay for all or a portion of the cost of any Delta seat with no black out dates or seat restrictions
- Domestic companion certificate upon annual renewal of Cardmembership
- Ability to redeem miles at discounted redemption rates on hotel stays, car rentals merchandise and more
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.