According to today’s press release, Gold and Platinum Delta Amex cardmembers will soon receive priority boarding when flying with Delta. Priority boarding means early access to overhead bin space and a less stressful boarding experience. However, I imagine the “priority” boarding on many flights will now be over half the plane because his benefit extends up to 8 companions traveling with the cardmember, much like the First Bag Free benefit.
The priority boarding benefit will begin September 1st, as will another perk: a 20% discount on all eligible in-flight purchases for cardmembers and their travelmates. Examples of Delta in-flight amenities include; video games, beverages, movies, food and tv shows.
What are your thoughts on these new perks? As a Delta elite, I’m a little annoyed there will be more people with priority boarding, but frankly I am usually upgraded to first class and since Delta boards first class before elites, this shouldn’t affect me too much. Overall, I don’t think we should be too surprised – I think we all know how much the airlines value their credit card partnerships so I only suspect more perks will be given to cardholders as airlines compete for not only premium passengers, but premium passengers who spend a lot on credit cards.
If you are considering getting one of these cards, right now you can receive 25,000 miles when you sign-up (and add two additional cards) for the American Express Delta Gold card. There is a $95 annual fee, waived for the first year. Receive 22,500 miles (5,000 MQMs) when you sign-up (and add one additional card) for American Express Delta Platinum. There is a $150 annual fee.
Other Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Benefits and Features (per the press release)
American Express offers several Delta co-brand Credit Cards, including the Gold and Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards, and Delta Reserve Credit Card, which feature many benefits in addition to priority boarding and in-flight savings:
- A free checked bag on every Delta flight – up to a $50 savings per person on a round-trip ticket – available for the Cardmember and up to eight people traveling in their reservation
- One mile for every eligible dollar spent on the Card
- Double miles for all Delta purchases
- No limit to the number of miles Cardmembers can earn and miles don’t expire
- Ability to “Pay with Miles” – Cardmembers can pay for all or a portion of the cost of any Delta seat with no black out dates or seat restrictions
- Domestic companion certificate upon annual renewal of Cardmembership
- Ability to redeem miles at discounted redemption rates on hotel stays, car rentals merchandise and more