Perhaps the thing I love most about running The Points Guy is the discussions I’m able to have with all of you. Even though I’ve only met a handful of you in person (and hope to meet more in the future), I still feel like I “know” many of you. The camaraderie and knowledge sharing continues to amaze me and I personally learn so much from all of you – usually via the comments.
Recently several TPG readers have emailed me recommending I install Disqus, which is a pretty nifty company that provides a smarter platform for managing blog comments. This was timely because I’ve received some feedback that some people are having difficulty posting comments. After asking around and doing some research, it seems like the right choice since the level of discussion has been increasing every day. Important Note: You do not have to sign up for a Disqus account in order to leave comments, though it will probably make your life easier, especially because I foresee more blogs moving to this platform.
FYI: all old comments will be saved, but there may be a short time when they are unavailable as the systems sync.
Some benefits of Disqus:
1) Ability to “like” comments (on some posts where there are 100+ comments, this will allow you to sort to the most relevant)
2) Ability to subscribe only to responses to your comment
3) You can manage your comments and edit them at your discretion
4) Add video/pictures to comments. This could get interesting
5) Disqus will make sure your comments don’t get lost or marked as spam
Overall, this will help me identify the most popular discussion areas and hopefully respond to your comments better – and to continue facilitating a discussion around the topics we love.
So, it’s been installed, but if we hate it I can uninstall it so please feel free to comment with your thoughts. Have a great 4th of July weekend – I’ll be celebrating in Madrid!