1,000 Free American Miles for Citi Cardholders on May 10

by on May 10, 2011 · 25 comments

in American, Citi, Free Miles/ Points

Update: It does indeed look like any current Citi AA credit card holder  can get the 1,000 points. Simply go here, enter your AAdvantage number and then select the box for “Already a  AAdvantage Citi Card holder? Click here for special bonus”

Citi just sent an email that leaked tomorrow’s installment of American’s “30 Deals in 30 Days” promotion:

“It’s the 30th Anniversary of the AAdvantage® program.

Thank you for being a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® cardmember! To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the AAdvantage program, the AAdvantage program would like to thank you with 1,000 AAdvantage bonus miles . In order to qualify for this offer, you must provide the primary cardmember’s AAdvantage® number and have an open credit card account. This limited 30th anniversary offer starts on May 10th, at 12:01am CST. To be sure you are one of the qualifying recipients, visit www.aa.com/AAdvantage30 on May 10th to register and reserve your bonus miles. ”

I’m not sure if there will be a limited number of points to give away, but it seems like the offer will be open to everyone who registers and has a Citi AA card. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this, but make sure you register tomorrow so you can claim your free points (my favorite kind!)

If you don’t have a Citi AA card, you can get one with 25,000 point sign-up bonus when you spend $750 within 4 months. The card comes with a $50 annual fee waived the first year and currently all miles earned, including credit card miles, count towards lifetime elite qualification.

Darren May 9, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the advance notice.

Lauren May 9, 2011 at 12:55 pm

looking forward to it! got the AAciticard in january per your recommendation :)

Michael May 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Does this include citibank AA debit cards?

Vick May 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm

How many miles are needed for lifetime elite qualification? I have close to 70k points on this card and don’t seem to have any status.

The Points Guy May 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm

@Michael- it says credit card account, so I doubt it. However, it can’t hurt to try and register!

@Vick- you need 1 million miles in order to get lifetime Gold status and 2 million for lifetime platinum.

Mark May 9, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for this, Points Guy.

JeffPLA May 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I saw another AA Citicard offer in the current (May 1) American Way magazine that gives 30,000 for signing up PLUS ANOTHER 30,000 if you spend $10,000 in first 6 (or 12, can’t recall) months of membership. Not sure what offer code is for that one – see American Way magazine.

Ryan May 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Word on the FT street is that it’s targeted for BUSINESS AA Citi Card holders only. Unfortunately I have the AMEX and VISA, both personal. We’ll see though.

The Points Guy May 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

@Ryan- I wouldn’t be surprised if just Business card holders were emailed, but I have a hard time believing they’d dedicate an entire day of the “30 days” promotion just for business credit card holders. Guess we will have to wait and see!

Mike May 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Dear points guy

Can I transfer the 50,000 points I received as an extra bonus to my wifes Delta account even though she doesnt have an american express card, and as a result get the mqm bonus and mileage bonus if I have her delta ff account signed up for this bonus.

Thanks for the extra 50,000 miles.

Mike

Mooper May 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

If you don’t have an AA card and are going to get one, don’t go for the 30K or 50K bonus… go for the 75K one (requires $1,500 in spending in six months): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1110784-american-airlines-card-75-000-sign-up-bonus.html The offer is expired but is still valid (see last several dozen posts in the thread for details).

Ryan May 10, 2011 at 2:34 am

Update: I was able to grab the 1K miles without a business card. The T&C posted after you sign up indicate that it is indeed available to ALL Citi AAdvantage cardholders. Just make sure you hit the blue button on the bottom right of the May 10th promo page (for existing cardholders). I couldn’t find it initially.

I agree with Mooper though. Per the FT instructions last month I was able to land the Citi AA Amex AND Visa 75K / $1500 spend promo. Approved instantly for both, never churned but average credit. The AMEX miles have already posted and the Visa should shortly. Easy 150K that will single handedly float next years RTW trip.

The Points Guy May 10, 2011 at 9:59 am

@Mike- yes. They don’t care what Amex account the miles come from- as long as your delta account is registered and its your first time transferring with this promo, she will get the 50% and mqms

Sergey May 10, 2011 at 11:47 am

It looks like that 1K deal is gone (no more link for current Citi AA cardholders)

Todd May 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This offer has been pulled for some reason. I got in but many others were not able to nor can I get the “blue” button for existing cardholders that was on the web page earlier today.

Nick May 10, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Yeah, it’s strange. I don’t see it either, tried google cache as well but no luck.

Ryan May 10, 2011 at 1:40 pm

@Sergey @Todd @Nick: Try this link (substitute for your AA FF#):

Ryan May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

comments parsed out some of the text… just add your number to the end after the equals.

Mausam Mathur May 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Seems like they took away the “I already have a card” option

MJL May 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

@ryan Tx that worked for me I was already logged into my AA account tho.

David May 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I tried Ryan’s link (with my AA number after the =), but when I click “Register Now” I get a pop up alert that says:

“Oops! You’ve reached your maximum number of entries allowed. Please see rules for more details.”

I tried it wile logged in to my AAdvantage account and I tried it logged out. Am I doing something wrong?

Ofer May 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Ryan!

Ofer May 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm

David, I think you are OK. I just clicked on the link and then added my FF # and registered. I didn’t log in nor did I add the FF number to the link and I think it worked since after I saw your message and tried again I got the message that you got which means that they got our entries.

David May 10, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Got it. Thanks, Ofer.

Jade May 10, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Now it said “The 1,000 bonus mile offer for 5/10/2011 has ended. Thank you for your interest”. Guess the deal is over now. Thanks for the information anyway.