This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I recently ran a series on maximizing British Airways miles and I received a ton of positive reader feedback. That made me think that I should do a series to highlight the major benefits of the main American Express cards and how to best maximize Membership Rewards points.
I jotted down a rough outline. Feel free to comment below if you have any recommendations for topics I should cover.
1) Overview of the key American Express Cards
2) Membership Rewards Express vs. Membership Rewards vs. Membership Rewards First
3) Platinum Card Perks
4) Membership Rewards Transfer Bonuses: A history of past bonuses and rundown of current promotions
5) Membership Rewards: Mastering Star Alliance Transfer Partners
6) Membership Rewards: Mastering SkyTeam Transfer Partners
7) Membership Rewards: Mastering Oneworld Transfer Partners
8 ) Membership Rewards: Mastering Non-Alliance Transfer Partners
9) Membership Rewards: Booking Hotel Rewards
10) Spotlight on Non-Travel Rewards
I’ll do as many installments as necessary, so feel free to comment below with suggestions or send me an email. I’ve been using American Express cards (and points) for years, so I hope to educate you all on the amazing value that can be realized once you understand where the opportunities lie.
FYI: Below are the links to the actual posts in my Maximizing Amex Series as they ended up evolving:
There are the ten posts in my Maximizing Amex series. They are; Post 1: Understanding the Card Offering. Post 2: Understanding Membership Rewards. Post 3: Understanding Transfer Bonuses. Post 4: Platinum Card Review. Post 5: SkyTeam Transfer Partners Post 6: Oneworld Transfer Partners. Post 7: Star Alliance Transfer Partners. Post 8:Understanding Emergency Travel Assistance and Travel Accident Insurance. Post 9: Purchase and Return Protection and Extended Warranty. Post 10: Car Rental Benefits.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees