This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I get emails all the time from my friendly northern neighbors about how much they wish they could get in on the super-lucrative US credit card bonuses. I would feel the same way! Lately the 50,000 and 100,000 bonuses have been mind-blowing and it must be such a tease to be so close, yet so far from the action.
Well, now American Express Canada is offering 50,000 bonus points for the Aeroplan Amex Platinum card (25,000 points are after first purchase and the other 25,000 are awarded after $1,000 spend in 3 months). Even though Aeroplan is increasing most of their award levels, great values still exist and the new award increases don’t go into effect until July 15, 2011. Besides the points other key benefits of this $499 a year card are: 1.25 miles per dollar spent up to $25,000 in spend per calendar year, 1.5 miles per dollar spent over $25,000 per calendar year, Maple Leaf lounge access, Priority check-in, Priority Pass Hertz Gold, and a 2:1 shorthaul redemption ticket. Overall, not a bad deal, even though the annual fee is a little bit steep.
The hat tip goes to Canadian TPG reader Liane for this deal!
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees