In November I wrote about Delta’s intentions to add a premium economy cabin and today the official announcement was released about their new “Economy Comfort” seats. I have to say I’m pretty impressed. My original questions were:
1) Will elites have access to this premium cabin – if so, at what price?
Yes- FREE for Diamond and Platinum Medallion (and up to 8 companions). 50% discount for Gold. 25% Discount for Silver.
2) Will the seats be different than regular coach seats (like Air France) or will they be the same, but with more legroom (United Economy Plus)?
I think they will be the same seats, but with increased recline and new seatcovers. Not the best scenario, but better than nothing.
3) How much will they cost to buy?
$80- $160 each way in addition to coach fare. Free if you buy a full fare (Y) coach ticket.
4) What amenities come with an economy plus ticket? Kit? Business class type meals? Free booze?
Free booze, in-flight entertainment, power ports.
5) How much will award tickets cost?
No mention because the press release only addresses paid travel. However, my guess is that Diamonds and Platinums will be able to book coach awards and select Economy Comfort seats if available. Will update when I get that information – I called the Diamond line and they had limited information (probably the same press release) and didn’t know anything about redeeming for Economy Comfort seats.
Overall, great news- especially for Platinum and Diamond Medallions. This makes international travel, which has historically been very expensive to upgrade, a bit more bearable. While I would have loved to see them add nice Premium Economy seats (like Air France), I’ll take what I can get.
I pulled up a JFK-LHR flight in July and it looks like they already blocked out the first four rows in coach for this new cabin.