This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In a move to incentivize their loyal members to stay at their cheapest properties, Starwood is running a promotion where each stay at an Aloft, Element or Four Points by Sheraton will count double towards your elite qualification. So 13 stays at an Aloft will get you to Platinum status (which is normally 25 stays). Considering they are also running a double/triple miles promotion, it could make sense to do some mattress runs at cheap properties.
If you’ve never done a mattress run, its when you find the absolute cheapest hotel and book a night solely for the points/ elite status. For example, if you have 4 stays away from hitting Platinum status and you have no more travel planned, you could book 4 nights at a local Four Points, at $60 a night. That $240 in spend will get you Platinum status for and additional 12 months. Not bad considering Platinum status with Starwood gets you suite upgrades, 3 Starpoints per dollar, a 250/500 point amenity for every stay and free internet (among others). You’d also get anywhere from 1-3,000 points for the $240 in stays, as well as some nice toiletries to take home.
Earn elite status twice as fast with the new Nights Count Double promotion:
-Every eligible night stayed at AloftSM, ElementSM and Four Points® by Sheraton hotels through December 31, 2010, counts double toward elite status.
-Earn your double nights across more than 200 Aloft, Element and Four Points hotels globally.
-To be eligible, register by December 31, 2010.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees