August 16, 2010
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Feisty Canadian low-cost carrier Porter is known for being the only carrier that flies to Toronto Island airport, which is within the city limits and much more convenient for many people than Toronto Pearson Porter only operates one-class Q-400 Turbo props and prides itself on simple fares and in-flight service. They target the business flyer who values convenient access to Toronto and a hassle-free airport experience. I flew them from Toronto to Montreal and was impressed with the free sandwich and drinks on the 40 minute flight. The Toronto Island airport experience was seamless too (and the only airport where I’ve taken a ferry to get to the gate!) The VIPorter frequent flyer program is based flight segments and class of fare purchased. While the airline may brand itself as unique- it’s frequent flyer program, VIPorter, is far from it. Currency= VIPorter Points (Sign up link here) Earning:
||VIPorter Points Earned:
Credit Card: None Parners: None Redeeming: 7,500 points for a one-way flight. Expiration: Points expire 3 years from the date they were earned Positives- +Simple earning structure, based on type of fare purchased Negatives- – No partners – Limited route network – It can take up to 20 roundtrips in order to get a free roundtrip flight Elite Status: None Overall Summary: The VIPorter program is one of the most bare bones frequent flyer programs I’ve ever seen- no partners, no elite status, no credit card and one type of redemption In order to get a free roundtrip flight, you need to fly anywhere from 5-20 flights based on the type of fares you purchase. If you purchase expensive fares, the program can be rewarding, but how much value can you get out of an award chart that has one type of redemption and only 14 destinations? Overall scores: Points: C Elite Program: N/A Overall Grade: C First steps for VIPorter to get the overall score moving towards an A: 1) Add partners for earning and redeeming 2) Start an elite status program- award your best customers! 3) Get hotel and travel partners- a shopping mall should be a no-brainer 4) Add more reward options like companion passes and gift certificates 5) Get a credit card partner!
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 40,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- 5X points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 a year for baggage fees and more at one airline. Terms Apply.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations worldwide. Terms Apply.
- Enroll to enjoy the benefits of complimentary Hilton HHonors™ Gold Status with your Platinum Card.®
- No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.
- Terms and Conditions apply.
- See Rates & Fees
||Foreign Transaction Fee