This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United is running a unique promotion where flights under 700 miles are now only 8,750 miles each way (17,500 round trip). Book by Aug 31, 2010 for flights until Jan 7, 2011. (I checked award availability and this is already loaded.)
I like this promotion, because short flights, especially to Canada, are often very expensive. For example, to fly from Chicago to Toronto this Saturday to Monday, the fare is $448.49- an itinerary that can be had for 17,500 miles, so you are getting 2.6 cents per mile value- not bad for a domestic coach award.
United also offers one-way award flights, which are often nearly as expensive as round trips when purchased.
I’d love to see the other majors match or provide similar mileage promotions to encourage people to use their miles.
With some great bonus categories and an annual fee that’s waived for the first year, the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card has a lot going for it. If you don’t have PRG, now’s as good a time as any to add it to your wallet, as Amex added some great new benefits several months back.
- Receive 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- No matter where you're traveling, when you use your Premier Rewards Gold Card there are no foreign transaction fees from American Express.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a year in baggage fees and more at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, if available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc. Terms apply.
- There is a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $195.
- Terms and limitations apply. See Rates & Fees